Saturday, July 2, 2011

Fifteen Years Ago

Fifteen years ago today, Jason and I went on our first date.  He was 21 and I was 16 (but only for two more days).  My parents knew where I was that day, but I was not entirely honest about who I was with. 

Jason and I met at Kroger.  My mom wanted me to get a job during my junior year of high school, and Kroger seemed the perfect place since she already worked there.  I don't even remember the first time I met Jason, but we got to know each other throughout that spring of '96.  At first, I didn't pay him much attention.  He was 4 years older than me, and to be honest, we didn't have that much in common.  Another coworker and I even tried to set him up with another cashier.  I didn't realize he was interested in me then.  I didn't even realize it when he transferred to third-shift but continued to come into work early to go through my line and buy a drink.  I am not sure when we decided to go on a date, but I do know that we asked for my parent's permission.  My dad heard his age and said no, so I went out with him anyway (I know..not my finest moment).

When I woke up this morning and looked around, I wondered what Jason would have done then if he had gotten a glimpse of our life today.  My guess is that he would have ran.

2 comments: